Sometimes it’s OK to take a break from work or your side passion. I know that’s an unpopular opinion, and Gary Vaynerchuk would probably thump me over the head with a bottle of Empathy wine if he were to read this.
Whatever you want to call it (your hustle, your passion, your side gig, your hobby, etc.), shouldn’t get in the way of your mental health.
Usually, a passion will CONTRIBUTE to your overall well-being.
That said, all things in moderation, amirite?
I absolutely LOVE what I do. I also love what I do on the side. But sometimes my work stresses me out. Sometimes my side hustle overwhelms me.
And we need to live in a world where that’s OK.
Historically, I am beyond awful at “taking it easy”. But I’m learning more and more as I have a small family now that I have to set aside some”nothingness” time or I’ll be consumed by all 7,532 of my responsibilities.
Here’s what I have to offer this evening. When you hit a wall and need to take a break, try:
- Meditating with an app like Headspace or Calm
- Reciting in your mind a list of 10 things you’re grateful for
- Cleaning something around your house (and give a little whistle while you’re at it)
- Chanting aloud “The world won’t end if I take a break”
- Avoiding social media in that moment and replacing that tick with something more meaningful
- Texting a friend or family member you haven’t connected with in a while
- Taking a nice walk in nature or in the city
- Eating a chocolate ganache cake from Whole Foods (treat yo’ self)
If this brought you some kind of value (or at least you like my little graphics), become a VIP by subscribing to the blog!